Sunday, March 02, 2008

Random Memories Of My First Forum...

Here are some my observations...

N.C. House Representative Linda Johnson: Her keyword of the evening was "control". She must have used that word at least six times during the forum. She made it clear that job one was to wrestle control of the General Assembly. She towed the party line like a seasoned professional.

I respect Linda as a human being. She is a respected person in our community. She sincerely cares about her neighbors. My disagreement lies within the realm of politics.

N.C. House Representative Jeff Barnhart: First of all, I would like to extend my sincere appreciation for the kind words he spoke. He acknowledged our political differences but he also acknowledged the mutual respect we held for each other. That means a lot to me. It is too easy to become angry when politicians hold positions contrary to your own. I have very serious complaints with Jeff's political philosophy. Never the less, I believe Jeff is fighting for what he sincerely believes in.

I only regret He believes it is necessary to use force to achieve his political goals.

My best response of the night came when Linda and Jeff defended their support of eminent domain and the Cabarrus "Quick Take" Bill, allowing local towns to move forward with projects before the appeal process is over.

Jeff argued that these takings were a foregone conclusion, why not give local "authorities" a head start on congestion (road widening example). Linda defended this position by "localizing" authority to seize land. In other words, our local elected leaders would steal the land instead of "un-elected" DOT bureaucrats.

I responded by saying I wasn't interested in localizing tyranny. If it is wrong for the State to steal land, then it is wrong for local governments to steal land.

After Linda spoke of the importance of political experience, aka "playing the game", (her words) I told those present that "I wasn't interested in playing poker." I reminded her that the money and property she was gambling with was not hers.

I told them that my role as State Senator was to protect their lives, liberty and property. I told them that role was all they could expect of me.

I told them of the Libertarian Party's struggles in the ballot access arena. With the spirit of Tom Bailey, I made mention of Article 6, Section 6 of the N.C. Constitution and the General Assembly's direct violation of constitutional law.

I told them how it felt to be treated like a second class citizen. I compared N.C. Election Statutes to Jim Crow where instead of people of color being discriminated against, it was now anyone who chose to not affiliate with either wing of the Demopublican Party.

Part two coming soon..

No comments: